Social Worker/Case Manager
The Northeastern Association of the Blind at Albany (NABA) is currently looking for a Social Worker/Case Manager to join our team. NABA is a not-for-profit located in Albany, NY serving those with visual impairments in more than 11 counties.
The Social Worker/ Case Manager is responsible for providing social casework services to consumers who are blind or visually impaired and receiving services through the agency’s Rehabilitation Services dept. The social worker is required to do home visits for initial assessments and some individual social casework planning/counseling. The Case Manager is responsible for coordinating interdisciplinary services to VR consumers receiving VRT, O&M and Casework. An understanding of the psychological and physiological aspects of vision impairment is necessary, but no previous experience in this field is required.
The purpose of the Social Worker/Case Manager is to complete initial assessments and provide information and referral services to consumers who are blind or visually impaired, to develop therapeutic plans to improve consumers’ well-being, provide short-term adjustment counseling, as well as to manage the coordination and implementation of services to Vocational Rehabilitation consumers receiving Vision Rehabilitation Training, Orientation & Mobility Instruction and Social Casework.
- Conduct initial assessments with prospective consumers.
- Assess consumers’ social work needs based upon living situations, strengths, and support network to determine goals for all ages of individuals with vision impairments.
- Plan and support an individualized program of social casework services for consumers. This could include: assisting with benefits counseling (SSDI, SSI, SNAP, HEAP, etc.), the benefits application process, health insurance, research housing options, etc.
- Provide short-term adjustment counseling to address issues related to adjustment to vision loss, family and workplace relationships
- Process information and referral telephone inquiries, including contacting prospective consumers via telephone and communicating with eye doctors’ offices to verify visual status.
- Act as case manager for a state funded program: coordinating and implementing services for legally blind participants by processing paperwork and maintaining accurate and complete records for program and administrative use.
- Ensure all consumers in the particular program receive services at a level consistent with their interests and capabilities.
- Keep team members informed with regard to consumer and program issues and to conduct team meetings for case conference needs.
- Keep complete, accurate, and confidential records.
- Perform additional projects as assigned by the Director of Rehabilitation Services.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Ability to make appropriate recommendations based on observation, documentation and use of accepted assessment tools
- Strong written, oral interpersonal problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in basic computer usage (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Provide own transportation (to and from appointments with agency service area)
- Master’s degree and licensed in Social Work or mental health REQUIRED
Salary: $28.28 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off