Orientation & Mobility Specialist
The Northeastern Association of the Blind at Albany (NABA) is currently looking for an Orientation & Mobility Specialist (for the VISUALLY IMPAIRED) to join our team.
NABA is a not-for-profit located in Albany, NY serving those with visual impairments in more than 11 counties.
The O&M Specialist is responsible for providing evaluations and training in safe adaptive travel skills and ways to establish orientation to participants who are blind or visually impaired.
- Evaluate the needs and observe and interpret capabilities of each participant for the purpose of establishing an orientation & mobility teaching plan, providing appropriate instruction using adaptive techniques and/or equipment to address and achieve the goals of this plan
- Maintain and submit accurate and complete notes on each participant as required by agency administration and program contracts
- Independently schedule lessons and coordinate programs in a timely and efficient manner in order to meet contractual and agency demands
- Travel to participants’ work sites, homes, community settings, or educational facilities to provide training and evaluations
- Perform additional projects as assigned by the Director of Community Services
- ACVREP certified or eligible for certification with ACVREP
- Must have Master's Degree in Orientation & Mobility
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Own transportation (to and from appointments within agency’s service area)
In order to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this position successfully, the employee must be able to:
- Exert moderate physical effort, such as prolonged periods of sitting, standing, walking, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and lifting; that meet the working conditions;
- Must be able to monitor participants’ safety during travel;
- Communicate clearly and precisely in face-to-face, written, and telephone interactions including in loud environments;
- Exercise independent judgment to assess teaching situations in order to provide appropriate adaptive instruction.
Salary: From $28.28 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off