Evening Circulation Coordinator
The Evening Circulation Coordinator position oversees all evening operations of Scribner Library’s busy Circulation Department, the one team in the library that must always be functioning for the library to be open. The Department is heavily reliant on student workers (we employ 25-30 each semester) and the evening supervision of that workforce is one of the primary responsibilities of the position. The ECC interacts with a variety of constituencies (faculty, staff, students, alums, guests, the public), applying a complex and evolving set of policies and guidelines, and providing access to an array of materials and various equipment related to the use of those materials. Scribner Library is a popular destination for students in the evenings and the ECC is key to creating a welcoming, inclusive environment for all who enter.
Primary Job Duties:
- Provide front line public service in the evening hours and close the building securely at the end of each shift. During the academic year, shifts are 5:00 pm to 1:00 am Sunday to Thursday evenings (1 hour dinner break), with some 6:00 pm to 2:00 am shifts at busier times of the semester. Summer shifts are typically 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm. When residence halls are occupied, the ECC is designated as essential and may be called upon to work when the campus is otherwise closed.
- Supervise student staff workers during evening hours.
- Provide a conducive educational and work environment for all students using the library in the evenings.
- Monitor the library for safety concerns, coordinating with Campus Safety as needed. Communicate urgent building issues to Facilities and Housekeeping.
- Manage patron billing and lost item replacement.
- Participate in regular Circulation team meetings.
- Collect and convey data to Circulation Team.
- Maintain the stacks and work on special projects as needed.
- Manage patron records and other general circulation duties as assigned.
Because the ECC is often the only non-student employee present during the evenings, this position is responsible for front line responses related to building maintenance, housekeeping, safety, and security issues. The ECC is often the first person on the scene when a problem arises, whether it is a theft of library material, a student safety issue, or power outage. Therefore, this individual must be able to use judgment to apply library and campus policy to sometimes unpredictable situations.
The Evening Circulation Coordinator works closely with the Bursar's Office, Campus Safety, Scribner Library patrons, daytime and weekend Circulation staff, evening student workers, research help librarians and staff, Bibliographic Services team members for collections matters, and the Assistant to the Director for scheduling and facilities matters.
Education: Associate’s degree and/or equivalent experience
- 1-2 years progressively responsible experience, preferably in a public service environment
- familiarity and comfort with information systems and technology
- strong communication and organizational skills
- demonstrated commitment to Skidmore College’s values of diversity, equity, and inclusion
Physical Work Environment:
- Works primarily in an office environment
- Scribner Library is committed to providing a work environment that is conducive to a wide range of individual abilities.
Required documents needed to apply:
- On-line application
- Cover Letter
- List of Three References
Pay Range: Commensurate with experience
In order to prevent or significantly reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission at Skidmore College and protect all members of the College community from infection, successful candidates will be required to submit proof of full vaccination as a condition of employment, unless exempted as a reasonable accommodation of a medical condition or sincerely religious belief or practice.
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result.
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.